The jury has returned its verdict – steam cleaning is one of the most effective ways to keep your home sparkling clean.
Now your question is, do steam cleaners work?
Steam cleaning has exploded in popularity in recent years, leading to a range of steam cleaners pitching to all budgets. One only has to switch on the home shopping channel to see many of these steam cleaners at work, with eager hosts demonstrating all the wonders of using steam to sanitize your home.
How does steam cleaning work, and why is it so effective?
Steam cleaners work by using tiny vapor molecules to penetrate the pores of a surface to evict dirt, grease, and a variety of stain-causing substances. The extreme heat is also ideal for killing bacteria, germs, mold, and dust mites. Best of all, homeowners enjoy these benefits only by harnessing the power of water without having to resort to harsh chemicals.
What can be steam cleaned?
Many common household surfaces are prime candidates for steam cleaning. Homeowners need to consider the type of steam cleaner they own and what attachments are required to complete the task.
What should I avoid steam cleaning?
As versatile as steam cleaning is, not everything can be steam cleaned. Steam can warp unsealed floors, cause laminate floors to swell, and melt the plastic. It’s vital to steer clear of these surfaces to avoid unexpected repair bills. It’s always best to thoroughly read the steam cleaner’s product manual first before diving in.
What should I look for in a steam cleaner?
- Functions – Consider what attachments you will receive and if they will do the jobs you require
- Warm-up time – Some machines heat up in less than a minute while others take longer
- Tank size – A larger tank means less re-filling while some offer a backup tank for a continuous filling to extend your cleaning time
- Heat – Steam must hit 200 degrees at a minimum for its cleaning and sanitizing properties.
- Price – The old adage rings true; you get what you pay for. Consider investing more in your steam cleaning unit for better customer service, longer product life, and stronger warranty.
Can I use detergents with my steam cleaner?
Most steam cleaners are designed to be used without detergent while some will specifically state they support the use of detergents. It’s best to check your product manual carefully before reaching for the detergent to avoid damaging your purchase.
Creative uses for your steam cleaner
Steam cleaning in many ways is limited by your imagination, taking into account the surfaces mentioned earlier that are not suitable.
Here are five hot ideas to get the creativity flowing today-
- Clean patio furniture;
- Steam cleaning attacks dirt, grime, and bird poor on your outdoor furniture saving you precious time.
- Disinfect and clean wire pet cages
- We love our pets but the cleaning, not so much. Use steam to blast away grime and gunk. Say goodbye to using the garden hose.
- Clean the car engine and tire rims
- Cleaning the family car just got easier. Use steam to degrease the car engine and leave your tire rims shining like new.
- Tackle the toilet
- No one can lay claim to enjoying the task of cleaning the toilet. With a steam cleaner, you can avoid harsh chemicals with the knowledge you are killing harmful bacteria.
- Steam clothing to remove wrinkles
- This is thinking outside the box. Use a blast of steam to remove wrinkles from your clothes. Just be sure to check the clothing’s label that a blast of steam won’t destroy the fabric.
I am environmentally aware. Will steam cleaning make a difference?
Steam cleaning is the ultimate answer to cleaning your home while looking after the environment. Traditional cleaning relies on water and detergents, which can not only provide an unsatisfactory clean but also wastewater and cost you more in the purchase of detergents. Introducing steam cleaning to your home can save on the use of detergents by up to 80 to 90 percent. Water usage can also be reduced by up to 95 percent. This saves money and, better yet, protects the environment.
Steam cleaning is a no-fuss, chemical-free, and effective way to clean your home. With a bit of research and consideration to purchase the right model for your home and specific needs, a spotless clean is now within reach.
We’re listening from you. ..
Have something to say about this article? Don’t forget to read our related guide’s: